Re: Writing tests

Subject: Re: Writing tests
From: Marc Santacroce <santa -at- TFS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 1995 15:41:00 PST

I've been a tech writer for over ten years. I've only been asked to take a
writing test once (my present job). I had to document (my choice) how to
use either an ATM machine or a vending machine.

BTW, I was really upset when I learned much later that other writers (with
less experience) were not tested.

IMHO you should either hire based upon samples, or conditionally hire for
60-90 days and reevaluate. The second choice amounts to entering into a
short term contract. It gives both the employer and the writer a chance to
strut their stuff...and change their mind.
=====================
At 10:01 AM 3/2/95 -0500, Emily Skarzenski wrote:
>I'm fairly new at hiring other writers, and I'm interested in some discussion
>on
>having job candidates take writing tests. Do most of you who hire writers use
>tests? If so, do you purchase them or do you make them up? What specific skills
>do you test for? Is editing included?

>I look forward to learning from your replies.

>Emily Skarzenski
>Head Technical Writer
>Fastech, Inc. - Broomall, PA
>71220 -dot- 341 -at- compuserve -dot- com
======================

=======================
Regards,

Marc

Technical Writer/Trainer
TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
300 Lakeside Dr.
Oakland, CA 94612-3540
santa -at- tfs -dot- com santacroce -at- aol -dot- com

"An idiot with a computer is a faster, better idiot"
- Rich Julius