Re: Testing for (in)competence

Subject: Re: Testing for (in)competence
From: Jan Boomsliter <boom -at- CADENCE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 2 Mar 1995 13:34:39 -0800

I was asked only once to write a test piece during an interview. When
I was left in the room with paper and pencil (I'm not making this up!),
I went to find a phone to call the agent who set up the interview (she
hadn't been informed of any "test"), told her to tell the agency that I
don't write with a pencil, I don't take tests, and that I
wonder if they are assuming that I lie and cheat because that's what
they do.

The agent apologized profusely.

I advise others to never take a "test" that's been cobbled up in-house.
Testing is a science, and you are putting the only thing you have -
your reputation - on the line with something that has no proven
results.

FWIW,
jb
Unless your test can pass muster with with legal and test experts, you
may be getting your company into tort city of legal suits now or
later. You test/case could pass muster with your legal and test experts and
still get a big kick in the pants in court if your company and or
department has a history of being bias against certain groups.