Re: Psychological Testing

Subject: Re: Psychological Testing
From: Vince Putman <PUTMV -at- MAIL -dot- SYNTRON -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 1995 09:14:24 CST

Rick,

Such is the fate we all face. What have you learned from John's
experience? Perhaps how to contend with our occupation?? Psychologically
I find the TECHWR list an excellent outlet for pent up TW frustrations.
Thanks for the reminder about our mortality. . .

Vince Putman in Houston | Most people think new ideas are just
putmv -at- mail -dot- syntron -dot- com | a criticism of the old ways!!
713-647-7223 FAX 579-7709| Eschew Gratuitous Obfuscation

Subject: Psychological Testing
Author: RJLIPPINCOTT -at- DELPHI -dot- COM at INTERNET_MAIL
Date: 3/8/95 8:54 AM

From: RJLIPPINCOTT
To: <ellena -at- TOLSTOY -dot- SC -dot- TI -dot- COM>
Subj: RE: Tests to Select Competent Writers

Ellen Adams asked about psychological tests.

Holy Smokes! I thought the handwriting analysis test I had to go through was
bad. I've never had to take a psychological test, and I'm not sure I'd pass.
Like Ellen, I'd tend to answer in terms of creative issues, overlooking
"team player" issues. (I'd have picked "painter" also.)

I can't help but think of one of the best technical writers I ever knew: a
fellow named John Damery. Even crazier than I am, he'd have surely picked
such offbeat answers that he'd never have passed that test. (Assuming for
even an instant that he even would consider submitting for such a test.) And
yet, he had an amazing ability to break down a complex task into simple
steps, matched with a gut feeling for his audience needs. Under much less
than ideal circumstances, he was able to produce complete documentation for
a highly classified system on board the F-117A Stealth Fighter. And he did
it using nothing more sophisticated than an electric typewriter.

And there's no way he would have passed a psychological test.

Pardon me for rambling. Unfortunately, John suffered a fatal heart attack
this past weekend. I've just returned from the wake.

Rick Lippincott
Eaton Semiconductor
Beverly, MA
rjlippincott -at- delphi -dot- com