Re[2]: Examination for Japanese ...

Subject: Re[2]: Examination for Japanese ...
From: Vince Putman <PUTMV -at- MAIL -dot- SYNTRON -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 1995 14:42:17 CST

One answer to a sad problem. In reply to a direct email reply, I emailed
Ron <RSMH -at- aol -dot- com>:

Ron,

Thanks for taking the bait. Please post your comments to the list. Omit
my name if you want, but your opinion is well thought. However, it still
does not change the fact that we have a very bad reputation as a group.
Ask around. Add your $0.02 on what you find.
<<<<<

My previous post on the subject of "Examination for Japanese" is repeated
below:

No, Noriko, it makes no sense at all! Considering the talents required to
write original copy about technical subjects, (if you do), TechWriters
should be considered equal to engineers, or above. And be paid more!

However, in the real world, all TC's, TW's, and whatever else we are
called, are "regarded as second-class citizens by engineers" everywhere.
We are first -- only on the layoff list. Some may think they are well
respected in their companies, but they are really just tolerated by the
engineering staff. Some have other unrelated talents and attributes which
help them gain respect, but the respect obtained this way can not be made
public. Face it, we are what you will become - Underpaid Wantabees or
HasBeens.

You are joining the ranks of those who wish they had pursued a real
engineering degree. These feelings occur after years of fighting off the
reputation of non-technical writers who say they can do the job, and always
fail. Help us all by taking at least, a minor in a technical field or as
many technical subjects as you can! We need a better rap. . .
<<<<<

And Ron again replied:

Thanks for the response, Vince. You can forward my note to the list if you
like.
<<<<<

Here is the best reply I have seen . . .

Subject: Re: Examination for Japanese ... Author: RSMH -at- aol -dot- com at
INTERNET_MAIL Date: 3/8/95 10:56 AM

Sorry Vince, but I don't agree at all. When I began in this business 7
years ago, I had no technical background at all. Through my years of
experience, I have developed a greater level of technical proficiency, but
I am not a software engineer, and I have no idea what makes the program I
am documenting do what it does, and frankly I don't care. It has nothing to
do with my ability to describe to an audience what it is doing. In fact, I
believe--and I think this has been discussed here before--a certain level
of naivete puts you closer to the actual user. You may recall in the years
prior to technical communication professionals how terrible manuals were.
This is because they were written by engineers who assumed the audience had
the same level of technical expertise as they did.

I don't agree with your all-encompassing cynical view of engineers either.
In many situations I have been involved in, the development team has a
great deal of respect for a person who can produce a coherent manual from a
non-working demo and some technical specs. They also recognize that a
quality manual makes them look more professional because it adds a level of
professionalism to the overall product.

There are of course those who think of documenation as an afterthought, but
having a little technical expertise as provided by a minor in a technical
field isn't going to buy you any more respect from jerks like that.

Ron
<<<<<<