Re: Preferring STC Members

Subject: Re: Preferring STC Members
From: RoseCrowe <ncrowe -at- PRIMENET -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 1995 12:53:32 -0700

On Tue, 7 Mar 1995 SuePStewrt -at- AOL -dot- COM wrote:

> No, STC membership does not make a writer; but it does indicate a person with
> a serious interest in his/her profession. STC is like everything else in
> life: what you get out of it depends greatly upon what you put into it.

Ok, I'm a fence-straddler on this issue; I'm also a procrastinator.
I've been intending to join STC for approximately 9 years now...

I have known some very poor writers who were STC members (none of
y'all of course :-)). I have also known some fine writers (including
me :-)) who were not. The main reason I'm making this point is so
that if you are hiring, you don't use STC membership or non-membership
as the only criteria, but look beyond that to the person. I have
a various serious interest in my profession. I have often read
STC materials donated by kind STC members (who were good writers,
don't think I'm "dissin'" y'all please). I read voraciously in
both my field and related fields, learn from every writer (and
non-writer) I work with, constantly expanding my knowledge of
technical issues, language, learning theory, manual organization,
style, tools, etc.

The reasons I haven't joined in the last nine years have included:
lack of money (I'm a parent; there's always something else to buy,
or bill to pay, sigh)
lack of time (ever have one of those contracts?)
bad reports of STC in my area from prejudiced people

I have revised any nagging low opinions I had of STC through
this mailing list. I do want to join, I do! (However, I just
had to get the brakes on my truck overhauled to the tune of
$1,000 and it will take me some time to get out of my hole,
plus the kid needs to go to the DR and Dentist again and
we ain't got no insurance -- see insurance threads of the
past, sigh, again....)

Rosie (NorthCrowe)
ncrowe -at- primenet -dot- com
rwilc -at- fast -dot- dot -dot- state -dot- az -dot- us
*******
"Half an hour's meditation is essential except
when you are very busy. Then a full hour is needed."
-St. Francis De Sales