Re: Punctuation: Period

Subject: Re: Punctuation: Period
From: Bill Burns <WBURNS -at- VAX -dot- MICRON -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 1995 14:37:56 MDT

Josee Sevigny asks:

>>What do you guys do when "etc." is the last word within a list in
parentheses and the last word of the sentence at the same time?
* ..., etc.). Other sentence...
* ..., etc.) Other sentence...
* ..., etc.) Other sentence...

Personally, I'd remove "etc." and replace it with more descriptive language
(for example, "the unload unit, the indexer, or other system components").
In my mind, "etc." has a number of drawbacks:

o It's vague.
o It's an abbreviation of a Latin term.
o It's unnecessary if prefaced with introductory elements like
"for example" or "such as."

In my composition students' papers, I used to run across "ect." In response,
I'd write in the margin, "'Et cetera' is abbreviated 'etc.' 'Ect.' is the
sound my cat makes when it coughs up hairballs." 8-) Then, of course, I'd
suggest that they use some other means of indicating a partial list.

Bill Burns *
Assm. Technical Writer/Editor * "Purgamentum init,
Micron Technology, Inc. * exit purgamentum."
Boise, ID *
WBURNS -at- VAX -dot- MICRON -dot- COM * Henricus Barbatus