Re: Metaphor Question (pt. 2)

Subject: Re: Metaphor Question (pt. 2)
From: Stuart Selber <sselber -at- HUBCAP -dot- CLEMSON -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 1995 09:46:42 -0500

Paul - Uses of metaphor to represent virtual space cetainely fall
within the real of tech comm issues. Seems central to me because
through metaphor we delimit, for better and/or worse, our conceptions
and uses of these spaces. I have a piece coming out in IEEE this June
related to metaphors for hypertext: (non-linear) text, (modular)
nodes, and (associative) links. Metaphors are certainely useful
congnitive tools, relating old knowledge to new. They also have social
implications--under what circumstances do we want to think of
information space as a shopping mall? library? and so on....

Stuart
________________
Stuart A. Selber
Department of English
Clemson University 803-656-1677 (voice)
Strode Tower, Box 341503 803-656-1345 (fax)
Clemson, SC 29634-1503 sselber -at- hubcap -dot- clemson -dot- edu

http://marvin.clemson.edu (MAPC Program/under major construction)
http://www.clemson.edu (Clemson University)

> *Note* My modem screwed up while sending this the first time, so if i post it
> twice, apologies to all.

> Hello

> I am a doctoral student locked in a linguistics class. I am doing a paper on
> metaphor, and I chose to do one on metaphor and the net. I am operating off
> the thesis that metaphor is a way to comprehend the unfathomable by nesting it
> in the known. Obviously, "the net" is WAY to large to really comprehend.
What