Re: Types and Levels of Edit

Subject: Re: Types and Levels of Edit
From: burgamw1 <burgamw1 -at- TEOMAIL -dot- JHUAPL -dot- EDU>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 1995 09:56:54 EST

Audrey Choden wrote

The March 1995 issue of STC Intercom contained an article that mentioned
"nine different types and five different levels of edit." As someone who
learned technical writing on-the-job rather than in the classroom, I had
never heard of the Levels of Edit concept before. Could someone enlighten me?
I need a reference to explain the different levels to a client who thinks
that an edit means the same thing to everyone.

The concept of levels of edit was developed by Robert Van Buren and Mary Fran
Buehler of the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in the late 1970s. Their booklet, The
Levels of Edit, 2nd edition, JPL Publication 80-1, January 1980, is now out of
print. The abstract for the book is as follows:

"The editorial process is analyzed, and five levels of edit are identified.
These levels represent cumulative combinations of nine types of edit:
Coordination, Policy, Integrity, Screening, Copy Clarification, Format,
Mechanical Style, Language, and Substantive. The levels and types of edit,
although developed for specific use with external reports at the Jet Propulsion
Laboratory, cover the general range of technical editing, especially as it
applies to an in-house technical publications organization. Each type of edit is
set forth in terms of groups of actions to be performed by the editor.
The edit-level concept has enhanced understanding and communication among
editor, authors, and publications managers concerning the specific editorial
work to be done on each manuscript. It has also proved useful as a management
tool for estimating and monitoring cost."

In a Level 5 edit (Coordination, Policy), the editor verifies that
institutional policy hasn't been violated, routes the ms. through production,
and is the liaison between the author and publications personnel. The Level 4
edit (Integrity, Screening) ensures that the material meets the minimum
editorial requirements of the publication. A Level 3 edit is concerned with Copy
Clarification and Format. The Level 2 edit (Mechanical Style, Language) is used
where a specific mechanical style is required by a publisher. The Level 1 edit
(Substantive) includes the full range of editorial capabilities necessary to
produce a first-class publication.

Various publications organizations have adapted the concept for their own
specific use. For example, at the Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Laboratory we
essentially use only two levels of edit: substantive and what we call a "light
edit." Which one we use depends upon the publication we're editing and the
author's needs.

Mary Fran, a long-time member of STC, died last year. Those of us who had
the privilege of knowing her miss her.

Murrie Burgan, murrie -dot- burgan -at- jhuapl -dot- edu