Pointing Devices and Repetitive Trauma Injuries

Subject: Pointing Devices and Repetitive Trauma Injuries
From: "Bob Lord, DTN 522-6614," <lord -at- CXCAD -dot- ENET -dot- DEC -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 1995 08:55:27 PST

Patrick.
You might try a touch pad "mouse". It's a little pad, about 3/8"x2"x3", on
which you rest a finger to control the cursor on your machine. Only the
slightest touch is required to move the cursor around, and you lightly tap to
perform the normal mouse button functions. I just got one, and after a little
readjustment, really like it. (PC Zone, GlidePoint, by Cirque. About $70.)

The bottom line in all of this is that no _one_ device or "ergonomic" office
environment will ever prevent _repetitive_ trauma injuries. The very name of
the problem says it all. We need to periodically break up the way we do things
to defeat the "repetitive" part of the mechanism of injury.

My wife's a neuro-muscular therapist, and she's seen lots of supposed carpal
tunnel and tennis elbow problems that were easily mitigated with deep-tissue
massage techniques. For what it's worth, I'd really recommend you try a good,
licensed massage therapist trained in NMT for relief of the problem that's
already there.
Bob

From ??? -at- ??? Sun Jan 00 00:00:00 0000====
>>>Date: Mon, 13 Mar 1995 17:14:00 PST
>>>From: Patrick O'Connell <patricko -at- EICON -dot- COM>
>>>Subject: Brand/model of keyboard w/trackball below space bar,
>>> func. keys on left?

>>>I'm looking for the above to take the strain off of my right elbow -- I've
>>>been told I have tennis elbow and it's due to repetitive strain. Methinks
>>>Mr. Mouse, combined with the not-at-all-ergonomic office furniture we have
>>>here, is to blame! A [whatsitcalled?], the pointing device on IBM Thinkpads,
>>>might do in place of a trackball -- the only problem I can see would be
>>>precision, WRT technical drawings.
>snipped<

Bob Lord
Contract Information Designer
Digital Equipment Corporation "Kindly practice random acts
LORD -at- CXCAD -dot- ENET -dot- DEC -dot- COM of senselessness!" b.l.
719.548.6614

Previous by Author: A Question of TECHWR-L Netiquette---Is permission required to forward responses to posts??...(retransmission-wrong subject line on previous msg)