Re: FORMAT: Blank Pages

Subject: Re: FORMAT: Blank Pages
From: mpriestley -at- VNET -dot- IBM -dot- COM
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 1995 18:06:05 EST

Sue Heim (SUE -at- ris -dot- risinc -dot- com)
>(Don't ask me why, but I just hate the "this page..." statement!
>Makes me feel like I'm working for companies like "Big Blue!")

Hmm... I know a fair number of writers here at "Big Blue", and none of them
would be caught dead using such an obviously contradictory construction.

(obligatory format suggestion: if you left it blank to preserve pagination
from a previous version, say so; if you left it blank because you're inserting
more stuff there later, say so; if you left it blank because gosh darn it you
love blank pages, label 'em "Notes", as others have suggested).

I've never seen "This page intentionally left blank" used in an IBM
publication.

Now maybe there _were_ writers like that around here once - back in the
Cretaceous period or thereabouts. Maybe they all work for the Department
of Defense now.

Maybe it's time to update your impressions? We don't wear ties here anymore,
either. And I don't document mainframes.

Michael Priestley
mpriestley -at- vnet -dot- ibm -dot- com
Disclaimer: speaking on my own behalf, not IBM's.
PS: I knew what "diss" meant. Is that cool enough for ya? And I don't
even watch MTV (MuchMusic is eversomuch better...:-)