Re: chapter-based numbering

Subject: Re: chapter-based numbering
From: Karla McMaster <mcmaster%pcmail -dot- cti-pet -dot- com -at- CTI-PET -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 1995 10:27:51 EST

I've been surprised at people who have said they like chapter-based numbering
(even in perfect bound books) because it lets them know what chapter they're in.

First of all, I presumed that the chapter number would be prominently displayed
in the header or footer.

But secondly, I was wondering why you care so much about what chapter you're
in? If it's a tutorial or other book meant to be read sequentially, do you
really care about what chapter you're in (do you pay attention to this when you
read novels)? If it's a reference work, aren't you accessing information from
the index or table of contents (in which case sequential numbering makes the
task MUCH easier)?

Karla McMaster, technical writer
CTI PET Systems, Inc., Knoxville, TN
mcmaster -at- cti-pet -dot- com