WORK: Job Leads and finding employment

Subject: WORK: Job Leads and finding employment
From: Kit Warfield <KitW -at- ASYMETRIX -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 1995 14:56:00 PST

Greetings from windy Seattle!

A couple of job hunts back, I went through all the standard channels:
networking; STC job book; _and_ replying to Help Wanted ads. I responded to
four ads, and I gained two interviews. From those two interviews, I got two
job offers!

Ironically, the offer I accepted was with people I'd known from another
company, let's call it the Old Company. They had batted around the idea of
calling me up to see if I'd be interested in the job, but they'd already
hired two others from the O.C. in the past month, so they decided to run a
newspaper ad to see who they'd attract. I of course didn't know this, and
sent in my reply to the ad. Must have been fate or something, because my
response was the first to reach them!

I still think, though, that networking and tapping the "hidden" market is a
more reliable way of finding a quality job.

Cheers,
--kw
KitW -at- Asymetrix -dot- com
"Asymetrix and I agree not to (mis)represent each other"