Re: From contract to full-time

Subject: Re: From contract to full-time
From: Marc Santacroce <santa -at- TFS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 1995 14:50:00 PST

At 7:43 AM 3/16/95 -0500, Joanna Sheldon wrote:
>Hi all --

>I'm in a quandary. I'm working as a contractor for a small company that is
>about to make me an offer for full-time employment. I make more as a
>contractor than they can pay me if I work full-time; the question is how
>much less should I accept as a full-time employee?
>Presumably they'll offer medical insurance, so that'll count for something;
>and they'll be paying the other half of my social security, which I can give
>a value to. But is there some standard way of figuring how much of a cut to
>accept in return for the security of employment?

>All your thoughts on this are welcome.

>--JS

>Joanna Sheldon
>Technical Writer, Translator
>(French, German, Italian)
>cjs10 -at- cornell -dot- edu

>"A language is a dialect with an army and a navy." -- Max Weinreich
My understanding is that overhead and benefits cost a company 35% to 50%
above wages. You'll hate this, but reduce your hourly by those percentages
and multiply that figure by 2000 or 2080 hours to get your yearly salary.

Technical Writer/Trainer TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
300 Lakeside Dr. Oakland, CA 94612-3540
santa -at- tfs -dot- com santacroce -at- aol -dot- com

"Better to be judged by twelve than carried by six"