Reading proficiency

Subject: Reading proficiency
From: Geoff Hart <geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 1995 08:17:50 LCL

I'm interested to see that reading proficiency appears to have
improved in recent years. A few years back, it seems to me, someone
published an estimate of people reading at a 3rd grade level averaged
across North America, but several posters claim grade 10 to 12. I'm
sure the grade 3 figure includes illiterates (thus, doesn't measure
how well _readers_ read), but both figures are kind of scary. Does
anyone have good figures and a reference to back them up?

--Geoff Hart #8^{)} <---try though I may, I still can't read
that signature.