Odd pages to the right

Subject: Odd pages to the right
From: Geoff Hart <geoff-h -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 1995 08:17:48 LCL

Just a trivia note: the reason we put odd-numbered pages to the right
is simple and functional. When you open an English book, the first
(number one) page you see is the right hand page. Among other things,
the inside front cover is usually blank or contains little useful
information. As well, you seize the right hand page and turn it (not
the left hand page) to move to page 2 etc. (yes, here "et cetera"
works!). This is also, not coincidentally, why most glossy commercial
magazines have most of their editorial pages to the left and
advertising to the right... you always see the advertising first!
Ooh... a sinister <pun intended> conspiracy!
Of course, what you do once you've moved beyond page 1 has already
been hashed half to death in this list, so I won't elaborate further.

--Geoff Hart #8^{)} <---or should that be {(}^8# ???