Re: File names in text

Subject: Re: File names in text
From: Karen Kay <karenk -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 1995 21:37:19 -0800

William J. Hartzer said:
> Karen Kay commented that when she was documenting programs she used capital
> letters to identify file names.

No, I didn't. Someone else made this suggestion. Someone else offered
the ALL CAPS suggestion, and that's what I've decided to go with.

> if feasible, I will also put the filename in bold type. In no case will I
> ever change a font in the middle of a sentence!

In the past, when I had the luxury of a different font, I did change
font in the middle of a sentence. I don't see any problem with this.

> I find it utterly annoying to capitalize just the first letter
> of a word (be it a filename or not) in the middle of a sentence. It's just
> bad grammar.

> Do you agree?????

No. I think the use of proper nouns in the middle of a sentence is not
bad grammar.

Karen
karenk -at- netcom -dot- com