Re: File names in text

Subject: Re: File names in text
From: "William J. Hartzer" <William -dot- Hartzer -at- EMC2-TAO -dot- FISC -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 1995 16:40:00 EST

Karen Kay commented that when she was documenting programs she used capital
letters to identify file names.

Karen, you're half right, in my opinion. If you capitalize just the first
letter of the file name, your reader tends to think that it's just a typo and
probably ignores it anyway. Personally, I have gotten accustomed to writing
filenames in ALL CAPS. This still solves Karen's (karenk -at- netcom -dot- com) issue of
not being able to use another font because it is in ASCII text.

Personally, I CAPITALIZE all the letters in, for example: FILE.TXT, and also,
if feasible, I will also put the filename in bold type. In no case will I
ever change a font in the middle of a sentence! I WILL put it in caps, bold,
or italics. I find it utterly annoying to capitalize just the first letter
of a word (be it a filename or not) in the middle of a sentence. It's just
bad grammar.

Do you agree?????

Hope this helps,
Bill Hartzer
technical writer/multimedia writer
Fischer International Systems Corporation
Naples, Florida USA

William -dot- Hartzer -at- emc2-tao -dot- fisc -dot- com