Re: datum/datums/data?

Subject: Re: datum/datums/data?
From: Jan Boomsliter <boom -at- CADENCE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 1995 06:43:46 -0800

Never.

jb
====================================
Do Science News and Scientific American use "data" as the plural for
"datum" as well? I'm curious because I am actually writing a document
that talks about "datums" (data?). It seems to me that, with the common
use of the word data as a collective noun, my readers will be very
confused if I properly use data as the plural of datum. They won't
know if data means "more than one datum", or "a collection of numerical
results".

So, the bottom line: is it ever proper to say "datums"?

--
Glenda Jeffrey Email: jeffrey -at- hks -dot- com
Hibbitt, Karlsson & Sorensen, Inc Phone: 401-727-4200