[no subject]

From: Dan Xiong Ding <dxding -at- RS6000 -dot- CMP -dot- ILSTU -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 1995 11:27:12 -0600

Comments on Bill Burns and Suzanne Lee's messages
I don't think the phrase vice versa will create such a big trouble for the ESL
readers. If we assume that our audience is able to read our works, then they
are, based on my experiences, able to know the meaning of phrases like vice
versa, i.e., etc., etc. If we assume that the ESL readers have a hard time
figuring out the meanings of those terms, then we must also assume that they
have a hard time figuring out the meaning of the entire writing. Then why
bother to writing for the ESL readers?
As to the suggestions made by Bill, I think they are goog ones. But the
difficulty, as I take it, does not lie in whether there is a corresponding
English (I mean the non-borrowed) term for it. Instead, the difficulty is
whether the native language of an ESL reader has a corresponding concept for
vice versa. If it doesn't, then the readers will really have a hard time. So,
in a sense, Bill has made a good suggestion.