Re: Acronyms in Glossary

Subject: Re: Acronyms in Glossary
From: Loren Castro <lfc -at- SOL -dot- CHINALAKE -dot- NAVY -dot- MIL>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 1995 08:11:32 -0800

From: Jane Lorenzen

> (snip)

> The first question is whether we should list entries in the
> glossary under the acronym/initialism/abbreviation, followed by
> the spelled-out version:

> CSR (Customer Service Representative)

or as the fully spelled-out term, with the acronym in parentheses:

> Customer Service Representative (CSR).

> (snip)

My second question: if we decide to list them by
acronym/initialism instead of by the full term, how do we sort
them within the glossary? Right now they're listed like this:

> FCAT (Forecasting Category)
> FDPT (Forecasting Department)
> FDIV (Forecasting Division)
> FSUB (Forecasting Subdivision)
> Factory Ship
> Final Replenishment Period
> Finished Goods
> Forecasting Hierarchy

First, I am constrained by Department of Defense (DOD) standards in
formatting my documents. I must usually follow the format specified in
a Data Item Description (DID) that is associated with a particular
document. This is probably a good thing because I don't have a
creative bone in my body.

Second, the following is an excerpt from DID DI-MCCR-80025A, which
provides the format of a Software Requirements Specification (SRS):

10.1.8 Notes. This section shall be numbered 6 and shall
contain any general information that aids in understanding
this specification (e.g., background information, glossary,
formula derivations). This section shall include an
alphabetical listing of all acronyms, abbreviations, and
their meanings as used in this document.

Third, I organize Section 6 as follows:

6. GLOSSARY

6.1 Acronyms and abbreviations

DID Data Item Description
DOD Department of Defense
SRS Software Requirements Specification

6.2 Definitions

Department of Defense. A large organization based in
Washington, DC that is famous for its ability to create
acronyms.

Fourth, I leave a lot of space between the acronyms and their terms
because I must always deal with things like "COMNAVAIRSYSCOM."

Fifth, I always provide the acronym on the first occurrence of the
defining term in the text.

Sixth, I don't understand why the last four terms in Jane's list are in
a list of acronyms.

lfc (Hey, it works for David Maibor and me.)