Re: Help with program code layout wanted.

Subject: Re: Help with program code layout wanted.
From: Michael Krigsman <mkrigsman -at- CPUB -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 1995 19:26:46 -0500

At 02:36 PM 3/30/95 PST, John McDermott wrote:
>A company for whom I write has asked me an interesting question. They want
>to know if there are any documents (preferably short) to help them with
>rules for the layout of program code (mostly C, C++).

>The issue is that they often produce documents of, say, 50 columns. The
>authors of the material have programs which are longer than 50 characters
>and the people formatting the text don't know where it is legal to break
>lines and how to indent (if one should indent).

We also write documentation that includes C++ code. And our formatters have
the same problem. The solution we have developed is to have a proofreading
pass during which a programmer looks at the code explicitly for the purpose
of determining that the line breaks are acceptable. It's a real issue
because incorrect code breaks can prompt calls to tech support, which is of
course a problem.

Michael

Michael Krigsman Tel: (617)739-1860 ext.18
Cambridge Publications, Inc. Fax: (617)277-9990
60 Glen Road, Suite 105 Internet: mkrigsman -at- cpub -dot- com
Brookline, MA 02146 Compuserve: 73707,75