Re- Correct Grammar (Who/Wh

Subject: Re- Correct Grammar (Who/Wh
From: Auli Ingman <Auli -dot- Ingman -at- X400UX -dot- SASKTEL -dot- SK -dot- CA>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 1995 13:41:53 -0600

Re: Correct Grammar (Who/When)
charles desaro wants to know if "who' or "when" is correct in the following
poem:

"On the beach of indecision
lay the bleached bones of thousands
Who with victory in sight
Sat down to think about it"

Who gets my vote. It's the subject of the subordinate clause comprising the last
two lines> its antecedent is thousands, i.e "thousands with victory in sight sat
down to think about it". I like it better in poetry than prose though.