Windows to UNIX help (via HyperHelp)

Subject: Windows to UNIX help (via HyperHelp)
From: Katie Schuler <klschulr -at- UNITY -dot- NCSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 1995 15:10:12 -0500

Hi folks -

I am de-lurking to ask for your advice. For those of you who have worked
on similar projects -

I am about to create an online help system for Windows using RoboHelp.
The application I am developing this system for is really a Motif/X
Windows application. We are "porting" it to Windows NT for a specific
customer - although, we will probably sell more systems on this platform in
the future. This customer was also the first to request an online help
system, so I am starting development there.

I have briefly investigated using HyperHelp to create help for the UNIX
versions of our program. My question is this - has anyone attempted to
simply convert a windows help file to a UNIX/Motif help file using Hyper
Help? It seems that this is possible - based on what I've read in their
product literature. I wonder how "seamless" it really is. I'd also like
to create a fancy Windows help system - complete with lovely bitmaps and
possibly even video - how well do these things convert? I don't want to
create a "monster", so to speak!

Our applications run on all sorts of UNIX platforms, by the way - SUN,
HP, IBM, and so forth. Is there anyone who has used Hyper Help to create
help for a variety of UNIX platforms? Are there portability problems?

If anyone has experience in this area...and some "free" time, please
email me privately. No need to clutter up the list - I know this topic
has been touched on before.

Thanks!
Katie Schuler
klschulr -at- unity -dot- ncsu -dot- edu