Contractions

Subject: Contractions
From: Jackie Campana <jcampana -at- ARCADA -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 1995 17:28:05 PDT

I know that contractions shouldn't be used in tech writing, but
I can't find where it says this.

My supervisor likes the informal feel of contractions, and wants
to use them in our manuals. I'm opposed because I've been taught
that they are inappropriate in tech writing. I need to show them why
contractions shouldn't be used, but can't find supporting statements to
my arguement in Chicago Manual of Style. Does anyone know where I can
find some proof to this?? Or else they're going in! (ack)

TIA,
Jackie Emard Campana
Tech Writer/Consultant
Arcada Software--Lake Mary, FL