Low Tech Aids--Overhead TPs

Subject: Low Tech Aids--Overhead TPs
From: Harold Snyder <ENSNYDER -at- ECUVM1 -dot- BITNET>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 1995 09:22:14 EDT

On Wed, 5 Apr 1995 19:24:03 -0700, Laura wrote:

>>I'm doing research on low-tech verses high tech aids in <snip>.

Here are some observations on Laura's 3 questions:

Q1. Modern technology allows laser printers to print transparencies (TPs) as
well as paper (you just have to have the type of acetate that allows
you to print on the top). By laser printing TPs, viewers are treated
to a more professional presentation (than when presenters/instructors
use hand-written TPs for overheads).

Q2. I'm not how "new, hot, or upcoming" this use is but some businesses and
universities are integrating computers into small group/classroom
presentations; this circumvents the need for TPs (or slides) by using
the computer screen to present what otherwise would have been printed
to make a TP (then there is the multimedia presentation...).

Q3. An interesting (but not surprising) real-life example of overhead TPs
is that they are going online (sort of like Q3's response).

Hal Snyder, Professor of English |Scientific Writing, Technical
Dept. of English (GCB 2115) | Editing, Technical Writing
East Carolina University |ensnyder -at- ecuvm -dot- cis -dot- ecu -dot- edu
Greenville, NC 27858-4353 |ENSNYDER -at- ECUVM1 or 919/328-6669 (Voice)

Hope this helps.

P.S. I just re-read Q1--by laser printing TPs (as well as paper), I presume
that folks are using either Postscript or True Type fonts (both offers a
variety of fonts that provide sharp, crisp letters).