Tech writer does newsletters?

Subject: Tech writer does newsletters?
From: Arthur Comings <atc -at- CORTE-MADERA -dot- GEOQUEST -dot- SLB -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 1995 15:39:27 PDT

Is anyone like me: A tech writer with a love for layout and some
journalism experience to boot? One who really likes publishing *news*,
not just the facts on some new software revision?

I've published some newsletters, and with the possibility of losing my
full-time job looming on the horizon, I'm wondering how hard it would
be to start a sideline publishing newsletters for stores and other
entities. I was just talking to someone who has a business that could
really use one, to make customers aware of how much value there is
added to the things they're buying. I wasn't even pitching -- I just
found myself saying "You really need a newsletter!" And she agreed.

Hmmm.

The quality of what I see out there makes me think that people must be
working pretty cheap, and with minimal experience. Maybe I'd have to
bid so low that it wouldn't be worth it; maybe I'd have to have three
or four going before I'd make a profit on any of 'em. Maybe I'd end up
making about $2 an hour.

I could still contract on the side, you know . . .

Any ideas? I'd even be interested in pointers to books or a newsletter
publishers' list, but I wanted to check with my tech writing cronies
first.

Thanks

Arthur