Re: Tech Writer seeking definition: Choosing v/s Selecting

Subject: Re: Tech Writer seeking definition: Choosing v/s Selecting
From: "Dan S. Azlin" <dazlin -at- SHORE -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 1995 00:47:05 -0400

On Mon, 10 Apr 1995, Stephen Schiller wrote:

> I'm writing a tutorial and was wondering about the difference between
> choosing and selecting. A co-worker inferred that there is an official
> Microsoft definition of each. Any thoughts?

According to the Microsoft Press Computer Dictionary (1991)...
"select - In general computer use, to specify an item displayed on screen
by highlighting or otherwise marking it, with the intent of manipulating
information in some way. Selecting generally indicates only that a
choice has been made; a program does not act on a selection until
instructed to do so. In database management, to choose records according
to one or more specified criteria... In information processing, to
choose an alternative based on a particular condition..."

There is no definition for "choose" or "choosing."

Hope that helps.

Dan Azlin ** WORD ENGINEERS, Technical Writing & Publishing **
Ph/Fax: 508-921-8908 18 School Street
Internet: dazlin -at- shore -dot- net Beverly, MA 01915-4851