Subject: Summary: Good & Bad Seminars
From: Keith Baker <keithb -at- CTIW -dot- CFER -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 1995 09:39:00 PDT

This is in response to the question that I posed
about a week ago. I asked:

> I would like to attend a technical writing
> seminar, and I want to solicit your advice.

My mailbox did not overflow with replies, but I did
get a few good suggestions. Many thanks to those who
replied. :)

Most of the responders said that they don't have the
time or the money to attend seminars. Of the seminars
that were critiqued, Rensselaer received wonderful
reviews. Any seminar with Dr. JoAnn Hackos, Roger
Grice, or Dr. Conrad Gottfredson also seems to be an
excellent choice.

Seminars from Communitec were criticized as "generally
inadequate" for professional technical writers.

The seminars that I considered (including phone numbers
this time) were:

o 43rd Technical Writer's Institute.
Rensselaer. (518-276-8351)

o Structuring Information to Go Online and On Paper.
Communitec. (800-524-2794)

o Managing Technical Publications.
University of Wisconsin. (800-462-0876)

o Any of the technical writing seminars by Solutions.
(800-448-4230)

o One-Stop Documentation. Dr. Conrad Gottfredson,
SkillTech. (800-34-TRAIN)

o How to Manage Documentation & Instructional Design
Projects. Dr. JoAnn Hackos, SkillTech. (800-34-TRAIN)

o Constructing On-Line Documentation.
Dr. Conrad Gottfredson, SkillTech. (800-34-TRAIN)

o Mastering the Manual. Jay Lutz,
Manuals Corporation of America. (800-626-8251)

In addition to these, Seminars in Usable Design by
JoAnn Hackos' firm was recommended. (303-234-0123)

Thank you All for your help.

Keith Baker
Technical Writer
keithb -at- cfer -dot- com