Font names

Subject: Font names
From: Chris Tarski <CTARSK -at- MEDNET -dot- SWMED -dot- EDU>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 1995 14:12:14 -0500

>Emily Skarzenski wrote: "..Sadly, it seems that type designers can't
>legally protect a type -design-. However, they can trademark the name
>they give their creation. Therefore, anyone can steal a type design and
>resell it, but they can't use the name of the original typeface. Usually,
>the cheaters are selling lower-quality versions (a scan of the original,
>which is not as good as the original)."

Does anyone have a list (personal or published) that groups the
knock-off fonts with the original one? Or, if you can just think of a few
copy-cat fonts along with the original, that would help also. I need help
in controlling the number of fonts that we have on our PC's. It seems like
every software package out there comes complete with 10-30 additional
fonts. Right now we have over 200 fonts that eat up system resources.

*HELP*

If people will respond directly to me, I will gladly compile a list for
everyone and put it out here.

Please excuse this mail if it double posts--our mail server went down this
morning and I was told all outgoing mail was lost....

TIA--

Chris Tarski
UT Southwestern ctarsk -at- mednet -dot- swmed -dot- edu