Re: Font names

Subject: Re: Font names
From: Vincent Reh <VincentR -at- SC -dot- HARRIS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 1995 07:36:00 EDT

For a start, you might want to check out a Corel Clip Art guide, they have a
list of Corel fonts and the trademarked equivalent typefaces. This makes a
great PC-to-Mac font conversion chart, too.

If you don't have any Corel info, contact me and I'll try to fax the list if
I don't get too many requests.

Vincent Reh
Sr. Marketing Writer

vincentr -at- sc -dot- harris -dot- com

----------
To: Multiple recipients of list TECHWR-L
Subject: Font names
Date: Wednesday, April 12, 1995 2:12PM

>Emily Skarzenski wrote: "..Sadly, it seems that type designers can't
>legally protect a type -design-. However, they can trademark the name
>they give their creation. Therefore, anyone can steal a type design and
>resell it, but they can't use the name of the original typeface. Usually,
>the cheaters are selling lower-quality versions (a scan of the original,
>which is not as good as the original)."

Does anyone have a list (personal or published) that groups the
knock-off fonts with the original one? Or, if you can just think of a few
copy-cat fonts along with the original, that would help also. I need help
in controlling the number of fonts that we have on our PC's. It seems like
every software package out there comes complete with 10-30 additional
fonts. Right now we have over 200 fonts that eat up system resources.

*HELP*

If people will respond directly to me, I will gladly compile a list for
everyone and put it out here.

Please excuse this mail if it double posts--our mail server went down this
morning and I was told all outgoing mail was lost....

TIA--

Chris Tarski
UT Southwestern ctarsk -at- mednet -dot- swmed -dot- edu