Re: Macs vs PCs

Subject: Re: Macs vs PCs
From: Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 1995 06:52:10 PDT

>In answer to all your questions I can only provide a broad stroke: The
>learning involved in PC-based work is "a *lot*." You can decide to *be* a
>Mac-based tech writer, then look for work that fits, rather than trying
>to be fully versed in both platforms.

I don't understand this attitude. Any idiot can learn how to get work
done on a PC -- I've got plenty of idiots to use as examples. DOS is
annoying and primitive -- a holdover from an early 1970s way of doing
operating systems. Windows is annoying and buggy. On the other hand,
Macs have given me a good dose of bugginess and recalcitrance, too.

PCs are like anything else. If you want to be an expert, grind through
the ENTIRE manual set that comes with it. For want of thorough reading,
most people never fully learn how to use the tools they work with
every day. This worked for me with DOS, Windows, UNIX, EMACS, LaTeX,
Awk, Interleaf, and innumerable VLSI chip designs ("Run! It's another
T-Spec! Aiieeeeeee!").

It's not fun, but it works a lot better than anything else.

-- Robert
--
Robert Plamondon * Writer * robert -at- plamondon -dot- com * (408) 321-8771
4271 North First Street, #106 * San Jose * California * 95134-1215