serif vs. sanserif

Subject: serif vs. sanserif
From: Nancy Bender <nbender -at- NMSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 1995 00:46:37 -0600

I was told in a tech writing class (taught by Steve Bernhardt? I can't
remember for sure) that the serifs allow us to read faster because the
platforms upon which the letters rest guide our vision from one letter to
the next, allowing us to move more quickly than when we read sanserif
type, where each letter is more discrete and unconnected to its neighbors.

Do you buy that? It makes sense to me, but I'm also persuaded by the
idea that whatever kind of font we grew up on is what we find the fastest
to read.

Nancy King Bender