Sexist cover letters?

Subject: Sexist cover letters?
From: Arthur Comings <atc -at- CORTE-MADERA -dot- GEOQUEST -dot- SLB -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 1995 10:25:23 PDT

What do you use as a greeting in the cover letters you enclose with
your resumes? Nothing I've tried lately feels just right, including
the following:

Dear Sir:
Dear Sir or Madam: [might be appropriate for Nevada]
Dear HR Department:
Dear HR Department Staff:
Hello:

You can guess where I am career-wise right now, and I'd appreciate a
few thoughts from the savants and sinners that inhabit Tech World.
[ -- soon to be a major Disney theme area, complete with 8-foot
talking figures representing the top ten members of the Tech Writers'
Hall of Fame.]

Thanks

Arthur