Re: Help! How much do you charge?

Subject: Re: Help! How much do you charge?
From: Arthur Comings <atc -at- CORTE-MADERA -dot- GEOQUEST -dot- SLB -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 1995 13:22:10 PDT

> I've been offered a contract position writing articles for
> various newsletters. The hitch is, the person who publishes them wants me
> to set a rate per article. I don't have the faintest idea what to charge.
> Any suggestions?

One charge for each article, regardless of size?

You've just got to sit down and figure how many hours will actually go
into a typical article, and what you want to make per hour. When you
know the actual time involved, I'll bet you wouldn't want to quote less
than $100 per article.

I would leave myself some escape valve, such as, "This is a quote for
articles up to this length, that take me this much time." Be sure to
tell them you're charging for all of the time involved in the
assignment, researching, production and delivery of the article. And
that other people might work cheaper, but your articles will involve a
minimum of re-writing and other bother. (Assuming that's true!)

Good luck! It could be fun, if you get paid for the time you actually put in.

Thanks

Arthur