Re- Online Help Tools for M

Subject: Re- Online Help Tools for M
From: Gregg Roberts <gr -at- STRATSYS -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 1995 14:51:19 U

Re: Online Help Tools for Mac
To: TECHWR-L -at- VM1 -dot- UCC -dot- OKSTATE -dot- EDU

Original post description:

Subject: TOOLS FOR MOVING TO ONLINE DOCS
From: Gregg Roberts <gr -at- STRATSYS -dot- COM>
Date: 4/12/95 11:08 PM

Original post summary: What's the best way to produce online help for the Mac
cheaply, either by converting Word/Xpress files or from scratch?

Response summary:

RICK_SAPIR -at- grotto -dot- mux -dot- eng -dot- gilb uses "Adobe Acrobat to put our Quark and Frame
documents online. We haven't had any problems. It is fairly quick and easy.
The documents are readable on multiple platforms (mac, windows, dos, & unix) and
the reader is freely distributable."

John P. Brinegar (johnbri.primenet.com) also finds Acrobat "adequate and
inexpensive." However, for those who want a hypertext application, Frame
Technologies' FrameViewer Pro "would be ideal with somewhat more cost,
especially preparation for full-text searches across multiple documents. We
have just completed our first CD with 15,000+ pages of docs designed for online
presentation. We include FrameViewer Pro on the CD. It is outstanding. The
search capability, bookmarking, and hyperlinking are superb."

Dee. Philipp Binggeli (dee -at- dtint -dot- dtint -dot- com) uses DOCMaker and AppleGuide:
"No licensing fees, no hassles, easy-to-use, absolutely interactive,
printable.... We've also looked into HOW (Help On Wheels), which would be a
great tool as well, but in order to use it effectively, your programmers have to
do quite a bit of work (not very hard but requires cross-departmental
involvement)."

I have not yet had time to try out any of these products and probably won't for
several weeks. Other opinions and experiences involving these or other tools
would be welcome.

Gregg Roberts
Technical Writer
Strata Systems