Dear company exec etc.

Subject: Dear company exec etc.
From: Melissa Hunter-Kilmer <mhunterk -at- SMTPGATE -dot- BNA -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 1995 12:02:20 EST

Arthur asked:

>> What do you use as a greeting in the cover letters you enclose
with your resumes?

Several people suggested finding out the name of the contact person who
will actually read the application materials.

Bill Burns said:

> If I know the name and gender of the person on the other end, I write,
> "Dear Mr./Ms. ______." I've never met any women who object to "Ms" as
> opposed to Miss or Mrs. It's quite possible that it might offend some,
> but I'd rather err in this manner than assume that Miss or Mrs. is
> acceptable or even relevant.

As far as the Miss/Ms./Mrs. issue goes, there are at least a few women
out there who are offended when you don't hit their title right on the
nose. (My sister-in-law is one.) So when you find out the contact
person's name, you could find out the title, too. Who knows, it might be
"Dr." -- that would eliminate the Miss/Mrs./Ms. problem!

My first mentor told me to use the full name when you don't know the
title, as in "Dear Melissa Hunter-Kilmer." I've gotten letters like that.
It seemed a little odd at first, but I got used to it. (Hey, anybody who
puts in both halves of my last name is already in my good books!)

I like Marc Santacroce's idea very much: "Dear 'company name' Executive."

We've heard from a bunch of job-seekers, former and present. Are there
any hiring managers out there who can tell us what they like to see?

Sincerely,

(Mrs.) Melissa Hunter-Kilmer (it's okay if you call me Ms. at work :> )
mhunterk -at- bna -dot- com
The Bureau of National Affairs, Inc.
Washington, DC

BNA and I have a deal -- I don't speak for the company, and it doesn't
speak for me.