Re: Sexist cover letters?

Subject: Re: Sexist cover letters?
From: PJ Rose <pjrose -at- AGATE -dot- NET>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 1995 12:18:12 -0400

Arthur Comings <atc -at- CORTE-MADERA -dot- GEOQUEST -dot- SLB -dot- COM> asks:

<<What do you use as a greeting in the cover letters you enclose with
your resumes? Nothing I've tried lately feels just right, including
the following:>>

I understand the problem; I'm anything but *PC*, but I also don't go out of
my way to hurt other people's sensibilities. The way that I've handled it
is to use no salutation at all, even I have a name to whose attention I'm
sending the letter. So my form looks something like this:

[Date]

[Company Name]
[Street]
[City, State Zip]

[Body]
etc.

If I have a name, the form looks like this:

[Date]

[Company Name]
[Street]
[City, State Zip]

Attention: [Contact Name]

[Body]
etc.

Everybody's different, but this works for me. <g>

PJ Rose
Technical Writer
P.O. Box 681
Winterport, Maine 04496-0681
Tel/fax: (207)223-2238
CompuServe: 73511,2163
Internet: pjrose -at- techwriter -dot- sdi -dot- agate -dot- net