Re: Copyright permissions for UK?

Subject: Re: Copyright permissions for UK?
From: "Arlen P. Walker" <Arlen -dot- P -dot- Walker -at- JCI -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 1995 11:54:00 -0600

I wish to use information contained in a PhD thesis dated 1986.
It states in part:

"...no quotation from the thesis and no information derived from
it may be published without the author's prior written consent."

You might want to wander by your legal department. Just because someone writes
that you can't quote from it doesn't mean that you can't. You might want to
check and see if your proposed use comes under the "fair use" guidelines
provided for under copyright law.

You see, a person can't reserve rights which they never were legally entitled
to.

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 124