Re: Thanks anyway

Subject: Re: Thanks anyway
From: Tamara Peters <1455 -at- MN2 -dot- LAWSON -dot- LAWSON -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 1995 10:07:00 CDT

OK, since I am plaguing the list with stuff today (I love Fridays!), I'll
respond to this as well.

I don't remember the original context of your plea, Susan, but Word 6 isn't
all that bad! It isn't a full-fledged publishing package, but you can do
quite a bit with it. I have produced brochures, and currently we are
publishing very high quality 7 x 9" spiral bound manuals, complete with
graphics, through Word 6. On the plus side, you can do quite a bit more with
indexing and table of contents, and other tables, such as tables of figures,
if you need that kind of depth.

Here are some things I found helpful:

Get all the advanced training you can. Check out macros, wizards, the
templates that come with Word as samples, and if you can, get samples of
other's work as templates. DO LEARN STYLES!!

If online help is an issue, check out existing tools that work on Word
files. I hear a lot about RoboHelp, and have seen it on a lot of resumes. We
are moving to a product called HDK from Virtual Media, which will let you
create both context-sensitive help and online books from your Word manual.
Pictures included. (Your online books can go on a "bookshelf," and you can
do comprehensive searches throughout all your online help files.)

If you need lots of graphics, don't rely on Word Draw. I am looking into
Visio Express (Shapeware Corporation) to replace Draw; we mainly do flow
charts (software diagrams). CorelDraw, Illustrator, and Freehand all got
good reviews and offer TONS of features for the desktop artist. On the other
hand, the Word Equation Editor is kind of nice for technical docs.

And if you're going to the net with your documents, Microsoft is working on
the Internet Assistant -- it plugs into Word, and isn't too bad. Check out
www.microsoft.com to get a copy. There are other tools which help with HTML.

Please feel free to send me a private email, if you want any specifics. I
hope it works out!

Tamara Peters
Technical Communicator
Lawson Software

tamara -dot- peters -at- lawson -dot- com
----------
From: TECHWR-L
To: Multiple recipients of list TECHWR-L
Subject: Thanks anyway
Date: Friday, 21 April, 1995 6:54AM

Many thanks to all who responded to my frantic inquiry about Frame vs Word
6.0.

It's hell working for someone who knows nothing about writing.

I'll be in training for Word 6.0, much to my dismay. At least we get
training right? However, my boss was persuaded to purchase one copy of
Frame. Does anyone have anything good to say about Microsoft word 6.0? I
was surprised not to get at least one favorable response for Word.

Independant contracting is calling me :-)

Thanks again
Susan
Susan Kloster srk -at- plaza -dot- ds -dot- adp -dot- com
Technical Writer (503) 294-4200 ext 2299
ADP Dealer Services