Re: Taking notes

Subject: Re: Taking notes
From: Robert Plamondon <robert -at- PLAMONDON -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 1995 08:12:52 PDT

>We had a similar situation here. We had a team of three contract technical
>writers. Two of us started in September and the first one (who had started
>in June) had agreed to take notes at meetings.

Contractor writers taking notes? Talk about the fox loose in the henhouse!
Not only is the company paying contractor's wages for a task that
doesn't require a contractor's level of expertise, but you can't expect
a contractor to be tremendously interested in all the things the
company is concerned with -- nor can you expect disinteres in writing-
related things. Thus, it would take a saint not to play up any
mention of documentation (what a great job the contractors are doing,
how the overtime budget needs to be expanded, etc.) while glossing over
the "less interesting" stuff.

While everyone does this to some extent, usually unconsciously,
good writers are much more convincing than most people.

So, have all the contractors had their rates increased and their
contract extended, or what?

-- Robert
--
Robert Plamondon * Writer * robert -at- plamondon -dot- com * (408) 321-8771
4271 North First Street, #106 * San Jose * California * 95134-1215