QUESTION: Consistent Index Entries

Subject: QUESTION: Consistent Index Entries
From: Paul MacGyver Carman <paul -dot- carman -at- HARRIS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 1995 16:01:22 -0400

Greetings all!

How would you handle the following index quandry?

* Generally, in my index I include acronyms with a "see _insert
acronym meaning here_" and no page number. The corresponding
entry includes all of the information.

Occasionally, however, the acronym is more important that the
terms for which it stands.

Would it be acceptable to consistently mix my standards?

For example:

Simple Network Management Protocol (see SNMP)

SNMP
xxxxx
yyyyy
zzzzz

_and_

View Builder
xxxxx
yyyyy
zzzzz

VB (see View Builder)

With our customers, the acronym "SNMP" is used more than the terms
for which it stands. The term "View Builder," however, is used more
often than its acronym.

Hmmm.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help.

-MacGyver

= Paul MacGyver Carman * =
= Harris Corporate HQ * Choose to chance the rapids, =
= (407) 724-3205 * and dare to dance the tide... =
= (407) 724-3627 (fax) * =
= Paul -dot- Carman -at- harris -dot- com * - Garth Brooks =