Re: QUESTION: Consistent Index Entries

Subject: Re: QUESTION: Consistent Index Entries
From: Robbie Rupel <ROBBIE -at- NENE2 -dot- CMS-STL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 1995 08:01:03 CST6CDT

Paul MacGyver Carman <paul -dot- carman -at- HARRIS -dot- COM> writes:

> * Generally, in my index I include acronyms with a "see _insert
> acronym meaning here_" and no page number. The corresponding
> entry includes all of the information.

> Occasionally, however, the acronym is more important that the
> terms for which it stands.

> Would it be acceptable to consistently mix my standards?

Paul,

We face this same problem at CMS. The radiation treatment planning
(RTP) field utilizes many acronyms, most of which are more
recognizable than the spelled-out form. We opted for consistency,
however, and index the terms as you described in the first paragraph.
If you are consistent throughout, your readers should have no trouble
finding what they need. (We have never had a complaint about our
indexing scheme.)

Robbie Rupel
Senior Technical Writer
Computerized Medical Systems, Inc.