Employees Who Work at Home

Subject: Employees Who Work at Home
From: "Dave L. Meek's User Account" <dave -at- ROGUE -dot- DISC-SYNERGY -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 1995 16:10:48 -0700

>From synergy.disc-synergy.com!netcom.com!vm1.ucc.okstate.edu!techwr-l Thu Apr
>Date: Thu, 27 Apr 1995 10:10:53 MDT
>Sender: "Technical Writers List; for all Technical Communication issues"
>From: Lori Moore <LORIMOORE -at- vax -dot- micron -dot- com>
>Subject: Employees Who Work at Home
>Comments: To: techwr-l -at- vm1 -dot- ucc -dot- okstate -dot- edu
>To: Multiple recipients of list TECHWR-L <TECHWR-L -at- vm1 -dot- ucc -dot- okstate -dot- edu>

>Hi, everybody!

>I'm searching for info. on full-time employees who work
>at HOME during all or part of the workweek.

>I read an article recently about a working mom who was
>permitted to perform her part-time job at home. My
>wheels have been slowly churning the idea since.
>This employee only goes into the office for meetings
>and such. Since our profession allows for the
>flexibility required, I'm considering pursuing .

>Can anyone provide insight on the pro's and con's for
>both the company and the individual? Do you know
>someone who's made this transition? Remember- I am
>NOT referring to contract work. I picture myself
>performing approx. 20 hrs/wk at home and the same
>at the office.

My company allows me to work at home occasionally. I find this
tremendously helpful whenever I need to work in peace and quiet
and without interruption. I was able to index a lengthy manual
in about half the normal time by doing this. Advantages: better
product in less time.

Disadvantages: I miss the companionship of my fellow employees,
and I have no access to certain data resources (i.e., programmers,
company reference library, etc.). Certain questions arise which
require face-to-face interaction or research that I hadn't
anticipated.

One last note: some people work better in the morning, others
work better in the afternoon. In the morning, I work better at
home; in the afternoon, I work better at the office. Whenever I
do work at home, that's how I split my day.

Dave Meek