Re: Help! How much do you charge?

Subject: Re: Help! How much do you charge?
From: Jennie Achtemichuk <jennie -dot- achtemichuk -at- MCCAW -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 1995 08:27:17 -0700

> I've been offered a contract position writing articles for
> various newsletters. The hitch is, the person who publishes them wants me
> to set a rate per article. I don't have the faintest idea what to charge.
> Any suggestions?

If you're going to start writing for periodicals (which newsletters often are),
take the time to
search out books on writing for magazines and newspapers. Writers Market often
has
information about negotiating and querying, or the book suggests other books.
This book
contains current rates paid by newsletters, magazines, and newspapers (which can
give
you somewhere to start).

Your rate per article is only part of the equation. Consider and negotiate your
copyrights.
You want to be able to reuse articles and materials as much as possible, so
never give
away all your rights unless you're going to make alot of money on the article.

My personal opinion is that too many people give away their expertise in writing
articles
and not getting paid. You're in business for a reason just like the newsletter
or magazine
is.

All the best with your venture. I hope it builds some wealth for you, not just
your portfolio.

Jennie Achtemichuk (206) 828-0229
Kirkland, WA
Independent Consultant (tech communication, instructional design)
Employment Chair, Seattle chapter, STC
Chair, Steering Committee, Visual Communicators PIC (in formation), STC