Engineers and writers

Subject: Engineers and writers
From: John Oriel <john_oriel -at- NTSC -dot- NAVY -dot- MIL>
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 1995 12:13:32 EST

Chateau Wright writes:

>Believe me, as an civil engineering student my technical
>writing class was much more easier than any engineering
>class.

As lawyers say, res ipsa loquitur. ;-)

I took all those engineering courses too. After I graduated
with a BSEE, I found out that my technical writing skills
were every bit as valuable as my knowledge of engineering.

I disagree with the opinion that all engineers can be
trained to write well. Some, as you can see, are utterly
untrainable as writers. It's less trouble to just do their
writing for them. I don't mind that so much because I like
to write. What bothers me is seeing such people get
promoted.

John Oriel
Electronics Engineer
john_oriel -at- ntsc -dot- navy -dot- mil