Re: off topic... what's the meaning of this expression?

Subject: Re: off topic... what's the meaning of this expression?
From: Rosemarie R Gaglione <rgaglion -at- FLUTE -dot- AIX -dot- CALPOLY -dot- EDU>
Date: Mon, 1 May 1995 19:13:00 -0700

As far as I know, the "vapors" is a swooning spell. The victim of the
swooning spell was usually a "delicate" female of the 19th century. They
could be brought on by news of disaster or by someone saying a naughty word.

Have you ever seen the 'Polaner All Fruit' commercial?? When the guy
calls the stuff 'jelly' the stuffy matron at the end of the table gets a
slight case of the "vapors".

Rosemarie