Select and open

Subject: Select and open
From: Karen Kay <karenk -at- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 2 May 1995 23:13:58 -0700

I suppose this is a simple and obvious question, but I'm having
trouble with something I'm editing. The text says

Select and open the file to be converted.

Now, I get very confused when I'm reading instructions like this. When
I see 'select', I want it to be followed immediately by the thing I'm
supposed to be selecting. I want to change this to

Select the file to be converted, and open it.

But that looks way too wordy to me. So am I engaging in an excess of
angst about something that doesn't matter, or does anyone else see the
problem I have...and know how to solve it?

Karen
karenk -at- netcom -dot- com