Re: UUENCODE

Subject: Re: UUENCODE
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <sgallagher -at- STARBASECORP -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 4 May 1995 10:22:36 -0700

Bev Parks wrote...>
> Dave,

> I answered Margaret directly when she posted this. I don't know
> if what I told her helped at all, but just in case it did, I'll
> repeat what I told her (and post it to the list, since others
> may have the same question, as you did).

> The obvious is true: you need UUDECODE to decode it.
> ^^
> Ideally, you could use the same mail software that the
> originator used to uuencode the file. One suggestion is to
> contact the originator and ask him/her what was used.

> Optionally (this is the one I'm not sure about), your own e-mail
> software may have a uudecode option. If you can transfer or save
> an e-mail message to a data file, try that and see what options
> are availalble.

I, too, answered Margaret directly, but I'll repeat it here.

UUDECODE/UUENCODE comes with Unix, so if your internet
connection is on a Unix box at work, just type the
command and you're ready to go. Ask your local Unix
guru for details.

There are also UU programs for DOS, Windows, and Mac
platforms, but I don't know where to get them. We have
the Windows version in-house.

You may find that your local sysadm has a copy for your
platform (or knows where to get one).

Sue Gallagher
StarBase Corp, Irvine CA
sgallagher -at- starbasecorp -dot- com