Re: Writing is an innate talent

Subject: Re: Writing is an innate talent
From: Romay Jean Sitze <rositze -at- NMSU -dot- EDU>
Date: Fri, 5 May 1995 20:32:05 -0600

On Fri, 5 May 1995, Tamara Peters wrote:

> Of COURSE there are marvelous writers out there who don't have formal
> training in programming or electrical wiring. But I'll bet that, if the
> truth were known, those really good writers have picked up quite a few of
> the principles in their subject areas along the way. I'll bet they
> understand the products they write about at a level beyond "what you see on
> the screen.

I would seem only natural, to me, that if you work with a subject you
will learn something about it. My own technical expertise is minimal,
but I have been known to look at an engineers drawing while working with
the accompanying manual and find a discrepancy that the engineer had
missed. If the drawing had gone out without fixing it, we'd have had
problems. I couldn't write if I were not aware of what was going on
around me--and willing to learn along the way. And I am sure that I am
not alone in this.

RoMay Sitze, rositze -at- nmsu -dot- edu