Re: Chicago Rates

Subject: Re: Chicago Rates
From: Marcia Coulter <notjust -at- IX -dot- NETCOM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 10 May 1995 13:45:26 -0700

Hi Sam --

You wrote:

>...I'm a contract writer in the Atlanta area....Is this your
>experience too in Chicago ($60 to $90 per hour)? I'm curious to know
>if you have any other information, like is this what an agency (body
>shop) charges a client or what an independent typically makes?

That's definitely an independent rate. Agencies in this area pay
$25-40/hour for tech writing. More if you do instructional design.

> The reason I'm asking is that rates are much lower here in
>Atlanta.

How much can you charge in Atlanta? (As an independent and as a
subcontractor)

>So much lower, in fact, that it would pay me to fly back and >forth to

>Chicago and work for a while.

Maybe, but if you are currently working for an agency, an easier way is

to find the jobs on your own. That way you can up your rate (i.e.,
charge what the body shops charge) without the expense of leaving home.

> Hope you got the contracts you were looking into.

Yeah, me too. I should know by the end of this week.

Marcia Coulter
notjust -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com